In Dec 2017 there will be four main changes to the UK Driving Test:
1. The independent driving part of the test will increase from 10 to 20 mins
2. Following Directions from a Sat Nav
- Only an Examiner provided Sat Nav can be used
- They will set up the Sat Nav and route
- You’ll be able to ask Examiner for confirmation of where you are going, if you are unsure
- 1 in 5 tests wont use a Sat Nav. These will be checked using road traffic signs
3. Changes to reversing manoeuvres. No longer will you be asked to ‘reverse round a corner’ or deliver a ‘turn in the road.’ Your test will consist of one in three possible reverse manoeuvres.
- Parallel park at the side of the road
- Park in a bay – either driving in and reversing out, or reversing in and driving out (the examiner will tell you which you have to do)
- Pull up on the right-hand side of the road, reverse for 2 car lengths and rejoin the traffic UKGOV
4. Answer two vehicle safety questions during your test.
- Tell Me: You’ll need to explain how you would carry out a safety task. This will be asked at the beginning of your test before you begin driving
- Show Me: You’ll have to show the Examiner how you carry out a particular safety task (like using the controls to put on your windscreen wipers and washing the windscreen)
The rest of the driving test and its cost will remain the same.