(last updated 02/09/2020).
I hope this message finds you all well. The driving instructor industry like most industries has been turned on its head over the last few months. Driving tests are being cancelled en-masse, then reinstated, then taken down again. A lot of new health & safety measures have also been put in place to protect you, the driving instructors and the DVSA examiners.
Driving instructors can now provide you with driving lessons of various sizes and to help keep you safe the A Pass 4 U driving instructors are cleansing the cars and touchpoints. There are no rules around whether you have to wear a face-covering and many people have very good reasons, including health, to not wear a face-covering/mask so we have decided that the driving instructor and pupil decide whether masks should be worn or not. If you have specific concerns around health and safety please discuss these with your driving instructor. You can see all of our driving lesson prices at https://www.apass4u.co.uk/driving-lessons/
Intensive Driving Courses
Intensive courses are now available and whilst tests can be difficult to get at the moment we are booking many tests as the last hour on the last day of the course with some short notice tests becoming available. On the 7th of September, the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (Government) are releasing 37,000 tests across the UK and on the 14th of September will be offering approximately 375,000 to help clear the backlog of tests this means you will be able to plan an intensive driving course with a test as the end. Please note that practical driving tests cannot be booked without the theory test being passed but we may well be able to organise a split driving course for you so you can start learning sooner than later.
You can see our intensive courses at https://www.apass4u.co.uk/intensive-driving-courses/
If you are unsure what course would be best for you please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Services Team on 03458 121 007 or you may wish to consider a 2-hour assessment lesson which costs just £50.00.
The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) who conduct all driving tests across the UK are periodically releasing tests but there are some 200,000 people waiting for tests so it can be difficult to secure a test at the moment. Unfortunately, the DVSA have removed the facility for Keyworkers to get a priority test. The DVSA are however aware that there are many thousands of people who’s careers and lives have been put on temporary hold due to not being able to take a driving test and get on the road so have decided to release 37,000 tests on the 7th of September and 375,000 tests on the 14th of September but these will be on a 1st come 1st served basis so it is expected that unless you have a business booking system like A Pass 4 U have you may be queuing for some considerable time to check dates etc.
The DVSA to help keep everyone safe have put some health & safety measures in place whilst on test these include:
Wearing a face covering/mask on test is mandatory unless you have a good reason not to which includes mental or physical disabilities, suffer from anxiety that can be caused by wearing a face covering. If you do have a genuine reason for not wearing a face covering on test you must advise the DVSA on booking your test and the DVSA will allocate a specific examiner for your test. If you wish to wear a visor rather than a mask you can.
- The vehicle must be cleaned/sanitised before arriving for tests.
- The instructor and pupil must arrive wearing a face covering.
- The DVSA examiner will meet you in the car park rather than in the waiting room at the test centre. The test centre will be closed to all candidates and driving instructors so should you need to use the facilities you will need to speak to your examiner.
- Should you make a mistake during your driving test that causes you to fail your driving test the examiner will redirect you immediately back to the test centre and shorten the test. You will receive a debrief in the car park at the test centre. This is to limit the amount of time in the car and therefore reduce the risk of Covid 19 being passed on.
- The Health & Safety Executive have said that there is less risk of contracting Covid 19 if a vehicle is well ventilated which means the examiner will ask for windows to e open for the duration of the test.
- Examiners will ensure they take appropriate measures through washing their hands, wearing masks etc for your safety as well as theirs.
These measures are constantly being monitored and may be changed at any time.
Theory tests are readily available and can be booked at https://www.gov.uk/book-theory-test.
As with the practical driving test you must wear a mask when entering the theory test centre and during the test.
Taking Driving Lessons
As always yours and our driving instructor’s health is the most important thing and to help you stay safe whilst driving, we have bought in some new measures:
- Our learner vehicles are cleaned with antibacterial fluids after every driving lesson.
- Hand sanitiser is available in every vehicle.
- Before each lesson/day please have a discussion with your driving instructor to discuss whether masks and gloves are required.
- If you are unwell in any way please contact your driving instructor and/or driving school to make them aware and your lesson will be rebooked for a different date.
Before and after your driving lesson the DVSA have suggested that you wash your hands to help stop the spread of Coronavirus.
We are aware that learner drivers do have different views and requirements and should you have a specific request please do not hesitate to ask.
Please keep yourself safe
A M Mihill
A Pass 4 U Driving School